Marble Quarries | Things to do in Romblon-Romblon
|Address:||Brgy. Poblacion, Romblon, Romblon|
Best visited at sunset, this newly restored Spanish fort looks over the town and the harbor, as well as the gorgeous bay and nearby islands. Going up this fort takes around 120 steps, followed by a pathway adorned with various marble artworks and mosaics. Restored to its original state after years of neglect, it is one of the twin forts, each sitting on two opposite hills overlooking the port of Romblon. Fuerza de San Andres initially served as the town’s fort to prevent invasion of the moros and pirates that roam the waters.
Watch artisans up close as they carve large slabs of marble into beautiful sculptures, tiles, balustrade, or marble bricks. Witness the cutting, carving, and polishing of the raw marble straight from the quarry. There are four major marble processing plants on the island and some date back to the 1980s. At the workshops, you’ll also see the three different kinds of marble: white, century (with gold streaks), and black onyx.
Romblon’s marble tour is a learning excursion to one of the Philippines’ top exports. Near the port you’ll find the Marble Shopping Center, an alley lined with several marble shops. The products here are affordable, carved from high quality marble. They range from keychains and pendants to large tables and scuptures. Some stores are a treat, exhibiting the art of marble carving.
Things to do nearby
- Join Romblon’s marble tour, a learning excursion to one of the Philippines’ top exports
- Experience hassle free transfers from the pick up point to the marble quarries
- Enjoy a relatively easy walk to the marble quarry sites, access to these sites are easy and accommodate frequent visitors
- See workers breaking down marble from the bedrocks of mountains
- Watch artisans up close as they carve large slabs of marble into beautiful sculptures
- Check out the top-quality marble products in shops near the port
Where to stay
Romblon Fun Divers & Inn is located in the middle of Romblon's Promenade. Only a few meters away from Romblon Plaza, Local & International Restaurants, Fort San Andres, the Marble Factories and the Pier. All Rooms have a powerful and silent Airconditioning, Hot Shower with Shampoo & Shower Gel amenities, Towels and Bedsheets. From here you can explore a myriad of Land & Island attractions and Scuba Diving activities.
Getting there and around
Brgy. Poblacion, Romblon, RomblonGet directions